Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just sayin hi (short RR that ends up being pretty long)


I haven't blogged for awhile. Some of you probably think I owe you a RR. hmmmmm to write one or not to write one...... Ok I'm gonna give a short one, call it a compromise ok? EDIT: Didn't turn out that short uh!

Race Morning:

Got up wicked early, maybe 3:30? I find it easier to get up if I didn't get much sleep to begin with. Met Greg at the bus shuttle and we rode out to the race site together(thanks for the long sleeve shirt Greg). First things first, got my bottles onto my bike, had to bend one of the cages into place, guess it had blown over in last night's wind. Met some old manitoba friends that I hadn't seen in like forever, found Trevor and Susan Oseen, even got a pic with Trevor, I'll try to nab it off his site. Said hi to other local friends/triathletes. Wished them well. Waited and waited for my heat to start. Got in the water with Mark, Trevor, other Mark, Shannon and waited for the gun to go off.

Swim:

I positioned myself with my buddies on the inside of the dock, but just before the gun I changed my mind and moved to the middle. The horn goes and off we go!! Finally no more nervousness it's go time. The swim had good and bad parts. My finishing time showed me that my swim fitness is there. Considering the problems I had with vision I was thinking I was out of the race half way through. we turned the one corner and my goggles decided to fog up just as we were facing the sun. I tried to follow feet while I hoped that they would clear, but eventually I lost the feet in my blindness. I was so blind I never saw the next bouy till we were 10ft from it. I didn't want to stop to clear the fog, I was hoping it'd clear up on it's own. It didn't.... on the way back I sensed I was by myself so I stopped and cleared them. So then the goggles leaked for the rest of the swim. Oh well at least I could see. Coming in towards shore the waves were big, but I was happy, I don't mind swimming in waves, I mind swimming blind. So I stood up with 35 minutes down in the race. Hmmmm not as bad as I thought, and with the 2-3 stops I wasn't tired and felt great!!!

Bike:

The wetsuit strip went well, grabbed my cycling shoes and ran to my bike at the far far end of the transition. It was in the last row furthest away from the lake. I ran to the bike, put my shoes on there, grabbed my bike and off I go. Long run to the road, but it's the same for everyone, almost at least. I felt good immediately here, must be all those hard swims eh Greg?? Felt great on the bike and since I was in the last wave I got to pass many many slower cyclists. That was kinda bitter sweet. It would be nice to know exactly which are in my age grp. I could kinda tell by how fast they were going, or if I bothered to check their age on their legs, but I didn't bother. I just rode as hard as I could. Greg asked me after about how I pace on the bike, hr, pwer, times, speed? I don't really have anything except the mental picture in my head. I got the fastest speed I can obtain as a 10, then I ride at 9. Complicated eh? About 20k in 2 guys passed me that were def. in my age grp so I kept and eye on them. I stayed well back, even got dropped at first, but managed to stay within site and passed them back a few times. Then on the way back they decided to cheat(draft) so I lost them. Later on Frank(age grp winner) came zipping by. Man can that guy ride, there was nooooo way I could keep up to that pace. Coming through Cochrane it was a bit frustrating, they had a lil no passing zone and I had just come up on 3-4 slower moving cyclists. I wasn't frustrated with them, not their fault they have every right to be there as I did, just frustrated at the timing. So I sat on their wheel, like a lil kid asking, "are we there yet??" There was no sign telling me to pass so as soon as I had room I zoomed by, I made sure they knew I was there. There were long lines of cars from airport road almost all the way back to Cochrane. Yikes I'd hate to be sitting there watching all the bikes go by. Later on I ran out of fluid, I had thought 3 would be enough, but it wasn't. I guess I was drinking more in the heat??? I even thought of asking a cute female competitor if I could borrow some, she had a full bottle on her cage why not? The aid stations were past already so I'm SOL, so I went through each bottle again, you know how there's always a bit more left. It musta looked rediculous trying to nurse some more drops out. Had an awesome dismount as I was telling Julie, hardly any slowing down, had my feet out of the shoes, swung my leg over so they were both on one side and "touched down" so to speak. My bike caught a curb or somthing cause it rocketed like 2 feet in the air banged down, chain flew off and my shoes were spinning madly all while dashing into my spot. I had to look at my wrist band to get my number to call out. I get really brain dead when racing and need to be told 10 times exactly where my spot is. Really quick change(for me anyways) and off I go onto the run. 1:30 trans. 2:31 bike.

Run:

Pumped about my sub 2:40(with transitions) ride I started out hard. It's a gradual downhill. I kinda misread my watch but I think my first 2k were in 8min. Pretty good, if only I could keep that pace through out the half marathon eh? Soon I started to feel the heat, and the hills started after the first 2k. If you look at the course not much of it was flat, I think only the part down in the valley. The rest of it was either up or down, but I like running hills. After the initial 5k push I tried to back it off a bit, I realized that I may have gone out a bit too hard. I still felt strong, one way I know this is every time I managed to slow down, I sped up again. It seems I was on auto pilot. I kept seeing friends on the course which helped sooooo much. Just as I'd go through a rough patch I'd see another buddy, wave, or say somthing and draw energy from it. Especially Julie, this chick really knows how to lift your spirits. Someone even mistook me for Trevor, that made me laugh. Then soon after about the 15k mark I started to feel a bit sick. My calves were also starting to twinge a bit, like they wanted to cramp, they never did but they were threatening to do so. So I took more coke or powerade in at the aid stations and kept pushing. I got to the last hill and tried to run up but twice I stopped to walk a few steps, I hate walking in a race, but I did, just a couple steps, then resumed the run. The last 2k were uphill again, man were they ever tough. I couldn't hear the finish or see it, but I knew after the mile marker it's gotta be close. Why won't it get here already!!! Just hang on, push push push, finally the finish shoot, around the corner and finish. What a relief, racing hurts doesn't it?? I guess it's got to, how else would we know we've done our best. Run was 1:37 finishing in just under 4:50.

Reflect:

Did great, didn't really have a time goal but wanted to be around 4:50. The bike was long, but also fast with the net downhill and tail wind so that probably made up for the extra distance. The run was really tough, but I'm glad I did so well with the hills and heat, good sign going into IMC. Thanks to all who yelled at me during the race, and to Curtis, Leslie, and Lisa for comin out to cheer me on. This race was special since there were so many friends on the course. I enjoyed watching all the heats, cheering on my friends(at least coming out of the water and heading out on the bike) then seeing everyone on the course. Sorry to those that didn't or couldn't cheer back at. I was cheering in my heart. :D I checked the results and was pleasantly surprised, finished 3rd in my age grp. I guess all the super fast guys stayed home??? I stuck around to get my award, but didn't take a clearwater(world champs 70.3) spot as I'm only after one world champs, it starts with a K and rhymes with Rona. Cheers all,

DP

3 comments:

Keith said...

Nice race report. Late, but nice! :-)

Glad you had a good day there, lots of people struggled on the run.

Unknown said...

Now it's time for me to make a ballyhoo about your 3rd place finish!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, Darryl!!! The fast dudes most definitely showed up at the race and YOU were one of them!! :) :) :) :)

I am still laughing over your flying (or should I say rocketing) dismount...Hahahaha!! I would have loved to see that! :) :)

IMC isn't too far away now -- methinks you'd better be buying some sunscreen -- the sun in Hawaii is pretty strong... ;)

Kelly B. said...

Great job! It was nice seeing you again in Calgary! 3rd PLACE!! Whoo HOOOOO!!
Watch out Kona cause here comes Darryl. That will be SOOO exciting!